*** Update - March 2013 ***
The City of Vancouver has proposed a set of updates for the lane house bylaw. See our page LWH 2.0
What's a lane house?
- A small secondary residence or studio, typically located at the rear of an existing home
- Often replaces the existing garage or parking area
- If replacing a garage, new parking requirements may vary by lot size, and municipality
What are the benefits?
- A secondary residence for family members
- A rental suite to generate additional income from your existing property
- Add to your property value
- Improve the quality of your lane, and help reduce your community's environmental impact
Can I build one?
- Your lot is at least 33' wide
- You live in a community that allows lane houses or Accesory Dwelling Units (ADUs)
- Vancouver (RS-1,RS-5)
- Maple Ridge
- City of North Vancouver
- Typically not allowed to be a separate strata unit